With Sergey A. Porada, Head of my election campaign (left)
and prominent Minnesota artist Jon Neuse (center)
With Verlyn Husman in May 2016 before his rally around
With Darrel Sodren, US Navy veteran
With David McLellan, who devoted 30 years to service in law
With Brian Wallace of Brooklyn Park
With Lindsay Keil
With Daniel Keil, US Navy veteran
With Shirley Posey of Brooklyn Park
With Clay Christian (deceased), US Air Force veteran
|Some of my constituents from over a thousand households in West District, who approved my
program of improvements in Brooklyn Park and ways of its implementation, signed my nomination
petition and endorsed me.
With Tom Guttormson od Brooklyn Park
|Created by International Interpreting, Translation & PR services, LLC. www.runglobaltranslate.com
Paid for by Elect Yelena S. Kurdyumova, 7212 7nd Lane N, Brooklyn Park, MN 55428
©All Rights Reserved. All material is copyright and may not be reproduced without written permission
The strength of Brooklyn Park is in its diversity. That is why it is necessary to take from people of different
nationalities and mentalities their positive ideas based on their national origin, and use it for the benefit of all
residents. I think it is necessary to be in contact with my constituents, to receive and study their opinions on all vital
issues of city life.
I want to take real measures to improve life in Brooklyn Park, so that residents of neighbor cities won’t have
grounds to nickname it “Crooklyn Park”; stop draining city budget like City Council did in 2014 when it paid a PR
agency $150,000 from city budget for creating positive city image on the paper.
MAIN POINTS OF MY PROGRAM
1. Stop growth of property taxes for homeowners.
2. Reduce violent crime rate.
3. Conduct police reform to achieve racial justice. Strengthen positive relations, mutual understanding and
collaboration between Brooklyn Park police and residents.
4. Develop and promote small businesses.
When Marijuana Legalization Bill, initiated by Minnesota House Majority Leader Ryan Winkler, comes into law I
shall develop and promote small businesses focused on: growing marijuana, synthesis of cannabinoids (THC and
CBD), production of cannabinoid-based medical and recreational products and selling them in Brooklyn Park. When
legal marijuana businesses pay taxes Brooklyn Park budget will get better money flow.
OTHER POINTS OF MY PROGRAM
5. Find new corridor for Bottineau Blue Line Extension LRT.
Now that BSNF railroad refused to share its right-of-way with LRT project, maximum positive effect can be reached
only if LRT route is lifted in the air above automobile traffic. Predominantly bridged LRT will reduce casualties and
traffic jams and allow smooth automobile flow without unwanted traffic stops and engine idling when more carbon
monoxide is eliminated into the air.
6. Build more affordable housing. Reserve funds in city budget for adaptation of residents and small businesses to
life and work in conditions of COVID-19 pandemic.
7. Attract investors and funds for road improvements and reconstruction, bus service improvement, Blue Line LRT
8. Work out a program aimed at prevention of crime and creation of environment eliminating crime, with the use of
innovations from successful European experience:
a) Work out and add to city rules a new rule which will obligate landlords to do criminal background checks
of prospective renters, which will help to lower crime in Brooklyn Park – key point for resolving many other problems
in the city, such as declining real market value of homes, bad image of the city, etc.
b) Work out and add to city rules a new rule which will obligate landlords to discipline their renters who maliciously
repeatedly violate city codes/rules, enforced by Code Enforcement and Public Health Department.
c) Work out and add to city rules a new rule which will obligate landlords to submit to the Police Department and to
Rental and Business Licensing Department copies of Leasing Agreements within a week after concluding them.
d) Work out and add to city rules a new rule which will obligate Police Department to control whether the number of
renters on rental property matches their number and names on the Leasing Agreement.
9. Return to the people their trust to City Council and Mayor through positive resolution of their problems, so that
more Brooklyn Park voters would want to take part in the next Municipal Elections.
10. Help my constituents always achieve satisfaction when they contact city offices with their problems and requests.
I shall encourage people send me via e-mail or mail their requests/complaints which were rejected by city
departments along with the answers from the city departments.
11. Improve control on the enforcement of city rules by appropriate city offices.
12. Study residents’ opinions by City Council before adopting the budget and other documents, affecting interests of
the majority of Brooklyn Park residents.
13. Clean parks off trash and drug traffic, Install lights in city parks, where they are absent in order to prevent
vandalism and drug trafficking.
14. Install in several parks all-season, outdoor exercise equipment (for different groups of muscles and joints) for
adults, free of charge to use, like those I saw travelling as sports journalist stringer to major competitions in Beijing in
2007, in Moscow in 2013, in Rio de Janeiro in 2011. See photos in archive below...
15. Boost cultural life by creating Brooklyn Park Arts Gallery for hosting visual art exhibitions: picture, sculpture,
photo, live performance, etc.
16. After COVID-19 pandemic stops, attract funds from businesses and companies for realization of charitable city
projects, such as mass sports competitions, cultural festivals and events.
I have got necessary education and practical experience in economics, management; since 2009, for 11 years, I
have been studying Minnesota and federal laws, case law in connection with my work as an interpreter in Minnesota
courts and arbitration. However, for implementation of my life improvement program in Brooklyn Park I need your
votes at Municipal Special Primary Elections on April 13, 2020, and also your active help through sending me your
concerns, suggestions, remarks via e-mail and regular mail.
Since my first election campaign in 2014 I personally met with thousands of households in Brooklyn Park and
discussed with them my program, methods of its implementation, concerns and suggestions of my constituents. All
these people approved of my program, real ways of its realization which I suggested, and endorsed me as candidate
for Mayor of Brooklyn Park.
As a result of my meetings with constituents, several main city problems, requiring resolution, were determined:
1. Police reform and achievement of racial justice. The acquisition of new life and work skills by residents in
conditions of COVID-19 pandemic.
2.The annual rise in home taxes does not match the quality of life in the city.
3. High level of criminal activity in the city, growing during the last 11 years, since 2009, often originating from renters
in homeowners’ associations (HOA) and renters of single-family houses. This is the result of malpractice of slum
landlords who don’t do criminal background checks of their prospective renters, and care only about their personal
4. Passive life position of residents who want safety and improvement of life in the city, parks cleaned out of trash and
drug traffic, stopping growth of taxes on their homes, real reduction of crime level in their neighborhoods, opening of
new restaurants, shops, repair shops in the city, better working Police Department, Code Enforcement and Public
Health Departments. However, these people don’t want to be involved into making all these improvements happen.
5. Bad image of the city, which scares away people wanting to live, open new businesses in Brooklyn Park, and is
often making old businesses leave the city. This has negative influence on real estate value in Brooklyn Park.
6. Absence of the main attribute of thriving city – Main Street, which is beautifully architected and decorated with
flowers, with cozy restaurants, boutique shops, art saloons, where residents can have a rest after work with family
members and friends.
7. Lack of affordable Housing
8. Absence of trust and respect in city residents towards Police, Councilmembers and Mayor, which is often
expressed in reluctance to participate in elections.
9. Closures of elementary schools in neighborhoods, low quality of school education due to growing
student/teacher ratio, unfavorable school environment, lack of modern technical equipment. Closure of elementary
schools makes families with young children sell their homes and move to other cities. As a result, median age of city
On photos 1-3 is BMW 745LI which was badly damaged on the parking lot of
Strawberry Commons Condominium Association on 72nd Lane N , Brooklyn Park
during the night of June 7-8, 2016
A sofa and treadmill which I discovered on
July 1, 2016 illegally disposed by someone
in Greenhaven Park and which stayed there
With Joua P. Xiong of Brooklyn Park
©All Rights Reserved. All photos are
property of RunGlobalmedia and cannot be
reproduced without written permission
With Jena Peterson, Marine Corps veteran,
Chevalier of The Military Order of the Purple Heart
Three photos of adult work-out station in the park near Capacabana Beach in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Fourth photo above and
video of training devices being used on bus stops in Rio. Both workout sites have got picture instructions how to exercise.
Click on the right photo to watch the video.
With Gary Sakry Navy veteran, Brooklyn Park
Beijing, China. A group of people is
playing jianzi game in front of
outdoor workout station in the park
near apartment buildings. Others
exercise on outdoor devices.
©All Rights Reserved. All
photos are property of
cannot be reproduced
without written permission
With John and Sharon Pavloff, Brooklyn Park
©All Rights Reserved
Two years passed, and I again visited
Greenhaven Park on May 26, 2018
during gathering signatures for my
Nomination Petition for Mayor of
Brooklyn Park. Nothing changed in
this park. This time dirty old mattress
was disposed on the lawn in front of
WORK-OUT IN THE PARKS - RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL AND BEIJING, CHINA
BROOKLYN PARK, MINNESOTA
|Yelena S. Kurdyumova - Independent candidate for Mayor of Brooklyn Park
Mayor's seat in Brooklyn Park is vacant now!
Former Mayor Jeff Lande was elected to Hennepin County Board of Commissioners and
resigned from the Mayor's position on January 3, 2021
Vote for Yelena at special primary election on April 13, 2021!
And then at special election on August 10, 2021!